How much does Grief Coach cost?
- A full year's Grief Coach subscription for you and up to 4 others, will be just $99 - that's less than the cost of a single therapy session! We also have discounted pricing for organizations who provide bereavement support.
Do you mean that 5 different people can receive content, as part of a single subscription?
- Yes, that's right. We believe that all grieving people should have the support of friends and family, so along with your personal subscription, you can also have messages sent to 4 people who want to support you in your grief.
Can I use Grief Coach to provide support to the bereaved people my organization supports?
- Absolutely. Organizations who provide bereavement support (i.e. hospices, hospitals, organ procurement organizations, churches, funeral providers) can purchase packages of subscriptions, so that all the people they support can receive affordable, personalized care.
What kinds of text messages will you going to send me?
- You'll receive personalized text messages at least once a week, as well as on key dates. The messages will be selected for you, based on your relationship to the deceased, cause of death, and more.
Who should I add as my supporters?
- You can invite anyone you like to support you in your grief, of course, but please ask them first. We recommend adding supporters who are close to you and/or the central griever, but may not be grieving the deceased as deeply. The messages that supporters receive will focus on supporting the central griever, versus working through their own grief. As is always true with grief, the best approach depends on your situation. Everyone is different.
I know Grief Coach is great for friends and family, but does it work for the grieving person too?
- Yes, definitely. We have lots of tips and support available for people who are grieving. When you subscribe you'll let us know if you have lost someone yourself, or are supporting someone who has, and then the messages will be selected accordingly.
What's the best way to invite supporters to be part of my Grief Coach subscription? I'd love to have their support this year, as I mourn my loss, but I feel awkward asking for their help.
- Asking people to support you can be hard, so here's some suggested language to get you started.
- "Hi XXXX. I came across a service called Grief Coach, that delivers personalized text messages designed to be helpful to grievers and those who care about them. I signed up for a 1-year subscription, and am finding the messages comforting and useful. I can include up to 4 other people in the subscription so am hoping you’ll be willing to receive a text message about once a week too. I know that many people find it hard to know what to say and do, when someone is grieving, so maybe Grief Coach can help both of us. Let me know if I can add you, I’d be very grateful for your support."
I want to buy a Grief Coach subscription as a gift for someone who has just suffered a loss. What's the best way to give Grief Coach to someone else?
- Buying a Grief Coach subscription is a wonderful way to support someone after a loss. It lasts longer than flowers and casseroles, and provides support not just to the grieving person, but to those around them who want to help. We suggest you reach out to the person you'd like to buy a subscription for, before you make the purcahse. Whether you say this in words, write it in a sympathy card, or send an email, we hope the following language is a good starting point for you as you reach out to offer this gift.
- "Hi XXXX. I am so sorry to hear about XXXX’s death, and have been thinking about what I could do to help, that would last longer than flowers. I’ve heard wonderful things about Grief Coach, a text messaging service that delivers personalized messages designed to be helpful to grievers and those who care about them. I’d like to buy a 1-year subscription for you, but of course wanted to first make sure you’d be happy to receive support this way. You, as well as the friends or family you include, will get reminders about important dates, personalized suggestions, and other information that has proved helpful to people who are grieving a loss. You’ll receive messages about once a week, will have full control over who you’d like to include, and can unsubscribe at any time. I hope you’ll consider Grief Coach as one of the supports you’ll have access to this year and would be honored to pick up the subscription if you’re willing. Let me know."
- Once the person has confirmed that they'd welcome this gift from you, and you're ready to purchase the gift subscription, please email us and we'll send you a direct link that will make the process seamless and comfortable for you, and for your recipient.
Will you keep my data secure?
- Absolutely. Your personal data will not be sold or shared with anyone, and is very secure. Here is our Privacy Notice.
Is this a way for me to get grief counseling or therapy?
No, Grief Coach is not a substitute for counseling or therapy. We offer education and support via text message, and are proud to be making grief support accessible and affordable in this way, but would encourage you to also work one-on-one with a therapist, if that is an option for you. Of course Grief Coach can still be a great adjunct to therapy, providing additional support to you, and helping those around you too. Friends and family generally do not access therapy after a loss, so Grief Coach is a good way for them to get tips and suggestions, so that they can in turn support you.
How do I unsubscribe?
- You can text UNSUBSCRIBE at any time, and won't receive any text messages from us after that.
What if I don't have a mobile phone?
- Grief Coach is only delivered via text message, so you'll need a mobile phone to sign up.
Who created Grief Coach?
- Grief Coach was conceived and created by a small team of people who are passionate about end of life and grief support, and who also have decades of experience building mobile and online communities.