How much does Grief Coach cost?
- A full year's Grief Coach subscription for you and up to 4 others, will be just $99.00 - that's less than the cost of a single therapy session! Organizations who provide bereavement support can also contact us for package discounts.
Do you mean that 5 different people can receive content, as part of a single subscription?
- Yes, that's right. We believe that all grieving people should have the support of friends and family, so along with your personal subscription, you can also have messages sent to 4 people who want to support you in your grief.
Where is Grief Coach available?
- We deliver text messages to people all around the world. As long as you have a mobile number, you can sign up for our text-based support. So far we're only available in English, however. We're working on that!
What kinds of text messages will you going to send me?
- You'll receive personalized text messages at least twice a week, as well as on key dates. The messages will be selected for you, based on your relationship to the deceased, cause of death, and more.
What kinds of losses do you support?
- We have text messages for people working through the following losses: Accident, Cancer, Cardiovascular Disease, Drug & Alcohol Related Death, Homicide, Natural Causes, Other Illness, Stillbirth, Stroke and Suicide.
Do I have to share the cause of death?
- Not at all. If you'd prefer not to share the cause of death you'll still receive text messages with advice about working through a loss, they just won't be specific to your particular kind of loss.
Who should I add as my supporters?
- You can invite anyone you like to support you in your grief, of course, but please ask them first. We recommend adding supporters who are close to you and/or the central griever, but may not be grieving the deceased as deeply. The messages that supporters receive will focus on supporting the central griever, versus working through their own grief. As is always true with grief, the best approach depends on your situation. Everyone is different.
I know Grief Coach is great for friends and family, but does it work for the grieving person too?
- Yes, definitely. We have lots of tips and support available for people who are grieving. When you subscribe you'll let us know if you have lost someone yourself, or are supporting someone who has, and then the messages will be selected accordingly.
Can I use Grief Coach to provide support to the bereaved people my organization supports?
- Absolutely. Organizations who provide bereavement support (i.e. hospices, hospitals, organ procurement organizations, churches, funeral providers) can purchase packages of subscriptions, so that all the people they support can receive affordable, personalized care.
What's the best way to invite supporters to be part of my Grief Coach subscription? I'd love to have their support this year, but I feel awkward asking for their help.
- Asking people to support you can be hard, so here's some suggested language to get you started.
- "Hi XXXX. I have signed up for a service called Grief Coach, that delivers personalized grief support via text, and am finding the messages comforting and useful. I can include up to 4 other people in the subscription, who want to support me this year. I wonder if you'd be willing to receive suggestions and reminders for how to support me? I know that many people find it hard to know what to say and do, when someone is grieving, so maybe Grief Coach can help both of us. Let me know if I can add you, I’d be very grateful for your support."
I want to buy a Grief Coach subscription as a gift for someone who has just suffered a loss. What's the best way to give Grief Coach to someone else?
- Buying a gift subscription is a wonderful way to support someone after a loss. It lasts longer than flowers and casseroles, and provides support not just to the grieving person, but to those around them who want to help.
- We may want to reach out to the person you'd like to buy a subscription for, before you make the purchase. Whether you say this in words, write it in a sympathy card, or send an email, we hope the following language is a good starting point for you.
- "Hi XXXX. I am so sorry to hear about XXXX’s death, and have been thinking about what I could do to help, that would last longer than flowers. I’ve heard wonderful things about Grief Coach, a text messaging service that delivers personalized messages designed to be helpful to grievers and those who care about them. I’d like to buy a 1-year subscription for you, but of course wanted to first make sure you’d be happy to receive support this way. You, as well as the friends or family you include, will get reminders about important dates, personalized suggestions, and other information that has proved helpful to people who are grieving a loss. You’ll receive messages about twice a week, will have full control over who you’d like to include, and can unsubscribe at any time. I hope you’ll consider Grief Coach as one of the supports you’ll have access to this year and would be honored to pick up the subscription if you’re willing. Let me know."
Will you keep my data secure?
- Absolutely. Your personal data will not be sold or shared with anyone, and is very secure. Here is our Privacy Notice.
Is this a way for me to get grief counseling or therapy?
No, Grief Coach is not a substitute for counseling or therapy. We offer education and support via text message, and are proud to be making grief support accessible and affordable in this way, but would encourage you to also work one-on-one with a therapist, if that is an option for you. Of course Grief Coach can still be a great adjunct to therapy, providing additional support to you, and helping those around you too. Friends and family generally do not access therapy after a loss, so Grief Coach is a good way for them to get tips and suggestions, so that they can in turn support you.
Can I stop my stop my subscription if I don't want the messages anymore?
- Yes, you can text STOP and START if you'd like to stop receiving messages, or if you'd like pause your subscription and then get started again later.
What if I don't have a mobile phone?
- Grief Coach is only delivered via text message, so you'll need a mobile phone to sign up.
Who created Grief Coach?
- Grief Coach was conceived and created by a small team of people who are passionate about end of life and grief support, and who also have decades of experience building mobile and online communities.
$99.00 for a full year of supportSign up now
Grief support to your phone, all year long. Personalized based on your loss.
Grief is overwhelming. Our supportive, customized text messages help you make sense of it all.